Bakersfield Mercury-Free Dentist
Woolf Dental in Bakersfield provides mercury-free dentistry. We use biocompatible composite and ceramic materials to preserve and restore teeth. We will help you maintain a healthy, natural-looking smile.
Amalgam (silver) fillings include about 50% mercury plus other metals. At Woolf Dental we don’t place any amalgam fillings, but offer a couple of mercury-free alternatives. We restore tooth decay and damage with composite fillings and ceramic inlays and onlays.
Composite fillings are a mixture of resin and quartz or glass. They are mercury-free and have several benefits, including:
- Strengthen teeth – Composite bonds to and strengthens your teeth. Amalgam fillings weaken the teeth.
- Look natural – Unlike dark amalgam fillings, tooth-colored composite fillings blend in and look natural.
- Feel comfortable – Although amalgam fillings can initially cause sensitivity to heat and cold, composite fillings insulate teeth and minimize sensitivity.
- Promote healthy teeth – Composite fillings mimic the aesthetics and function of natural teeth. Unlike the aggressive preparation required for amalgam fillings, preparing teeth for composite preserves more of your healthy tooth structure.
Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and onlays are custom-made ceramic restorations that offer a long-lasting solution for tooth decay or damage.
- Inlay – Used for smaller and regular-sized fillings, an inlay replaces decay in the center of a tooth between the cusps, or peaks, on the chewing surface.
- Onlay – If there is more extensive damage to the tooth, an onlay could be indicated. It is similar to an inlay, but it includes one or more cusps of the tooth. It is a more conservative option for a clinical situation where many dentists would place a crown covering the entire outer surface of the tooth.
Benefits of inlays and onlays
- Strength – High-strength dental ceramics provide long-lasting results.
- Aesthetics – Inlays and onlays match the color and translucence of your natural teeth.
- Comfort – We take digital impressions of each tooth to ensure a precise, custom fit.
- Conservative – Unlike a dental crown that requires shaving your tooth on the top and all sides, we only remove the damage or decay to keep healthy tooth structure intact.
It takes an experienced cosmetic dentist’s skill to place composite fillings, inlays, and onlays properly. At Woolf Dental, we take time to correctly bond and seal restorations and give you long-lasting results.
Replacing Amalgam Fillings
If you want to replace old amalgam fillings with composite or inlays or onlays, we use sanitary amalgam removal. The process isolates the affected teeth and protects you from exposure to mercury particles and dust.
Interested in Mercury-Free Dentistry?
We provide dental restorations that protect your oral health and support your well-being. Call us to schedule an appointment or request an appointment online.