Bakersfield All-On-4 Implants
If you are missing all your upper or lower teeth—or both—the All-on-4® dental implants system can give you replacement teeth that feel solid and secure. At Woolf Dental, our in-house oral surgeon and restorative dentists achieve predictable results with All-on-4.
What Are All-on-4 Implants?
All-on-4 implants are a system for placing a fixed (non-removable) implant-supported denture. As few as four dental implants—or small screws—are surgically placed in your jawbone. In a technique pioneered by Portuguese implant dentist Dr. Palo Malo, the implants are placed at diverging angles to increase retention, thus eliminating the time-consuming and expensive bone grafting that would otherwise be required. Sometimes two more implants are added and we call it All-on-6.
What Is the All-on-4 Process?
The process includes these steps:
- Our oral surgeon will make small incisions through your gums for each implant.
- He will embed the two front implants vertically and place the back implants at an angle for maximum support.
- We will place temporary dentures on the implants the same day so that you can leave our office with a smile.
- Over the next three to four months, your jawbone will fuse to the implants.
- We will screw your customized permanent denture onto the implants.
What Are the Benefits of All-on-4 Implants?
All-on-4 implants have several benefits:
Prevent the need for bone grafting
After teeth are extracted, the jawbone shrinks. If you then decide to get implants, there often isn’t enough bone left to anchor the implants, and bone grafting could be needed. This technique provides the needed retention without any bone grafting.
Stable dentures make it easier to eat, speak, and socialize without dentures moving around or falling out. It will feel as if you have your own natural teeth back.
The implants that support your denture also stimulate your jawbone and help prevent further bone shrinkage and premature facial sagging.
What Can You Expect?
We will review your medical and dental histories to determine if All-on-4 or All-on-6 implants are right for you or if you will get better results with another implant system.
We will complete these steps:
- Take 3-D x-ray images to view bone structure, oral cavities, and sinuses for precise implant planning and placement
- Create a custom treatment plan, determine the cost, and give you the details
- Sedation is available for your procedure to ensure your comfort
- Place the implants and attach your temporary denture
- Give you post-op instructions that explain the signs and symptoms you can expect, how to increase your comfort at home, and how to adjust your diet while the implant sites heal
- Schedule follow-up appointments during the healing period to check the implants and surrounding tissue
- Make a wax-up of your customized permanent denture for you to examine and try on. If you love the way it looks and feels, our laboratory technician will make your permanent denture
- Attach your permanent denture to the implant connectors
What Is the Recovery Time for All-on-4?
- After surgery, you will need to rest for three to four days.
- Any swelling and discomfort will gradually decrease.
- Your jawbone will fuse to the implants in three to four months and provide a solid anchor for your permanent denture.
How Long Do All-on-4 Implants Last?
Your All-on-4 implants can last many years—maybe a lifetime—because we use high-quality implant fixtures and processes. And you can maximize their lifespan in these ways:
- Closely follow post-op instructions during the healing period
- Be diligent about keeping your gums, dentures, and implant fixtures clean
- Keep your exam and hygiene appointments with us. We will thoroughly examine and clean your denture and implants and periodically take x-rays to monitor your jawbone health
How Much Do All-on-4 Implants Cost?
The cost is going to vary depending on the complexity of your case, the number of teeth you have left, the amount of bone remaining, and other preferences you may have. If you would like an idea of the cost before committing to an examination, we will be happy to schedule a complimentary consultation for you for that purpose.
Once you have the complete examination, we’ll be able to give you a firm estimate of the cost. We never pressure you to accept any treatment plan, so feel free to decide if you want the treatment or not.
Ways that All-on-4 can save you time and money
At Woolf Dental, our oral surgeon and restorative dentists are in a single location. You will enjoy the convenience of receiving implant planning, placement, and restorations in our office.
We do not take shortcuts. Our board-certified oral surgeon uses 3-D technology and adheres to a process that helps prevent implant mistakes and complications, including numbness, tingling, pain, and dental implant failure.
All-on-4 and All-on-6 implants outlast traditional dentures, which require periodic relining to adapt them to your shrinking bone and may need to be replaced from time to time.
Cleaning All-on-4 Dental Implants
After implant surgery, avoid spitting or rinsing your mouth vigorously for 48 hours because it can dislodge blood clots at the surgical sites. Follow your post-op instructions for progressive oral hygiene.
After the healing period
Clean your denture teeth with an extra-soft toothbrush and non-abrasive denture paste. Use a water flosser to rinse away debris beneath your denture, clean around implant fixtures, and keep your gums healthy.
All-on-4 Implant Consultation
If you are interested in All-on-4 implants but aren’t ready to commit to a paid exam, call us to schedule a brief complimentary consultation or complete our online Request an Appointment form. When you are ready, you can schedule an exam.